A Heat Sink can be used to decrease the duration between Portal hacks. It’s used to cooldown a portal so it can be hacked again sooner. The Heat sink is one of the 5 new Ingress Portal Mods from the Ingress v1.28.1. The Heat sink and Multi-hack will create some great portal farming areas.
Depending on its type, each deployed Heat Sink is decreasing the time interval between 2 hacks. Here is the exact property on each type:
- Common = +20% Portal Cooldown Decrease
- Rare = +50% Portal Cooldown Decrease
- Very rare = +70% Portal Cooldown Decrease
- Portal without Heat Sink = Hack every 5 minutes
- Portal with Rare Heat Sink = Hack every 2.5 minutes
Diminished returns when multiple Heat Sinks are deployed:
With every deployed Heat Sink you get less and less benefit from them. This is a way to discourage deployment of same mods on portal.
We figured out the Niantic math again, here is how it goes:
The cooldown wait period with no mods is 300 seconds. You can’t decrease the cooldown time to the negative, you would destroy the whole universe! Here is how you calculate the decrease:
- Common Heat Sink = 20% decrease or 0.2
- Rare Heat Sink = 50% decrease or 0.5
- Very Rare Heat Sink = 70% decrease or 0.7
The diminished returns values are as follows:
- First = x1 speed
- Second = x0.5 speed
- Third = x0.5 speed
- Forth = x0.5 speed
Here is a new formula:
Cooldown decrease = 1-(1-HHS)*(1-HS/2)*(1-HS/2)*(1-HS/2)
HHs is most rare HS that you have deployed, all other HS have only half the effect
Only Very Rare Heat Sinks:
- 1 VR HS = 1-(1-0.7) = 70% = 90s cooldown time
- 2 VR HS = 1-(1-0.7)*(1-0.7/2) = 80.5% = 58.5s cooldown time
- 3 VR HS = 1-(1-0.7)*(1-0.7/2)*(1-0.7/2) = 87.32% = 38s cooldown time
- 4 VR HS = 1-(1-0.7)*(1-0.7/2)*(1-0.7/2)*(1-0.7/2) = 91.76% = 24.72s cooldown time
Only Rare Heat Sinks:
- 1 R HS = 1-(1-0.5) = 50% = 150s cooldown time
- 2 R HS = 1-(1-0.5)*(1-0.5/2) = 62.5% = 112.5s cooldown time
- 3R HS = 1-(1-0.5)*(1-0.5/2)*(1-0.5/2) = 71.87% = 84.39s cooldown time
- 4 R HS = 1-(1-0.5)*(1-0.5/2)*(1-0.5/2)*(1-0.5/2) = 78.9% = 63.3s cooldown time
Only Common Heat Sinks:
- 1 C HS = 1-(1-0.2) = 20% = 240s cooldown time
- 2 C HS = 1-(1-0.2)*(1-0.2/2) = 28% = 216s cooldown time
- 3 C HS = 1-(1-0.2)*(1-0.2/2)*(1-0.2/2) = 35.2% = 194.4s cooldown time
- 4 C HS = 1-(1-0.2)*(1-0.2/2)*(1-0.2/2)*(1-0.2/2) = 41.68% = 174.96s cooldown time
So maximum cooldown decrease is 91.76% and that is 24.72s seconds between 2 hacks!
And here is one Calculation for C HS + C HS + R HS + VR HS = 1-(1-0.2/2)*(1-0.2/2)*(1-0.5/2)*(1-0.7) = 81.77% and most of cooldown decrease is 70% from last deployed Very Rare HS.
So we would suggest one Very Rare or Rare Heat Sink per portal, and if needed use Common Heat Sinks for rest!
With these new numbers and confirmed research, there is no difference in the order of deployment, so the stats will be the same if you place a Common HS and then a Very Rare HS or a Very Rare HS and then a Common HS.
Same as all other Portal Mods
- Common = 400 XM
- Rare = 800 XM
- Very rare = 1000 XM