Exotic Matter is the driving force behind all of our actions in Ingress. XM allows us to construct items through hacking portals, to attack enemy portals, make links, and create fields. But how much do we really understand about it? We have been researching XM for some time now, but because the nature of Ingress is change, it’s difficult to pin down concrete stats, in this article we’ll do our best to share what we know so far.
First some basic information on XM:
- Each collection of XM consists of 3 white dots revolving around an invisible core that must be interacted with to collect it.
- Each core has an energy amount ranging from 35-100 XM.
- XM concentration away from portals seems to come from Location Based services, meaning that areas with a lot of foot traffic have higher amounts versus places that don’t. Verizon stores, Parks, and Intersections with red lights also have higher than average amounts. While Highways and Roads tend to have less.
Here’s where it gets complicated; the XM around portals varies based off of the portals level that it surrounds.
- Portals ranging from levels 1-5 are based off of the Portals True level which can be calculated by adding up all the resonators and dividing by 8. I.E: a portal with these resonators: 5-5-5-5-4-4-4-4 would be a level 4.5 portal. (36/8=4.5)
- The portals true level is then multiplied by 1000, so that same 4.5 portal would have ~4,500 xm around it, this value fluctuates up or down by 100-300.
- A portals true level is also handy for predicting what level items will be able to be hacked. A 4.75 portal will give more level 5 stuff than a 4.12 level portal.
- While Portals ranging 5.5-8 still use their true level to calculate the XM cloud, the values are a bit different, the XM concentration begins to fall and each level only increases the XM by 500-750, so a level 6 portal would have 3,000-4,500 XM in the area around it.
In closing, knowing how much XM is around each portal can be handy for preparing for attacks, defending portals while out and about, and saving supplies. Why waste a Power Cube when you know those two L6 portals up ahead are gonna recharge your scanner for the next attack?
Thanks again to Evil Witch for her help in researching this article. Bandito Bunny also helped with the preliminary knowledge into the nature of XM.